Sunday 29 April 2007

Sometimes I get frustrated by fortran!

I like FORTRAN. Really I do. I like creating programs that work and give me answers that mean things and that I can use to help me write reports and things for uni.

I have problems with it though. It took me ages to understand what I'm trying to do with my latest program. Creating a fortran program based on misunderstandings is never a good idea. I now have the concept though. I understand roughly what I'm trying to do.

The only thing is that now I know what I'm doing I can't figure out how to tell the computer the right fortran so that it will give me the desired answers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

To be fair, though, learning the best way to program something (even something relatively simple) takes a few years of practice. FORTRAN isn't the most creative of computer languages and that rather handicaps things, I think.

Still - 90% of the world's computational scientists can't be wrong - can they? ;)

Stick with it - you already know that new ways of doing things will come to you as you look at problems from different perspectives.

Anonymous said...

I need a coding book. I don't think I'll have much more to do though during this course. If I get a job with coding I _will_ get a book. I might get one anyway. But then I hope I can get a job with a certain amount of coding involved.

It's possible that 90% of the world's computational scientists are either a) too old to learn something else, b) too scared of change to use something else instead, c) too lazy to rewrite all of their existing programs in other languages.