Tuesday 3 April 2007

Foodstuffs that make me think of maths...

I see it as a true sign of a geek when someone sees their "area" of science/maths/engineering etc in things that they do/see in everyday life. This is one reason why I consider myself to be a maths geek.

When I make custard from scratch, I measure out the custard powder and the sugar. Then I pour in a drop of milk and stir. If there isn't enough milk for the powder then the spoon is really difficult to move. But if you take the spoon out and watch how the mixture moves on its own you can in fact see that at least part of it is a liquid because it's ever so slowly moving to the lowest point possible in the jug.

Recently I tried those Innocent smoothies for the first time. They are very nice to drink, but for a student they're rather expensive. Right now I'm at home for Easter and Mum has a blender, so I can make my own smoothies. It's amazing that you put solid fruit in and get liquid juice out. It's wonderful! It appeals to my inner geek.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Good Day kind geek.

I have a (slightly related) question for you...

Does an object emit infra-red because it is hot or is it hot because it emits infra-red?

I thought about that last night on the drive home. I couldn't decide either way.

Ta muchly

Anonymous said...

Hm, good question. I have no idea right now.